St.Peter’s, in the Village of Pitton is a Church of England church,and has been a central part of the village l for hundreds of years.
By tradition, there was a church on the site before Salisbury Cathedral (completed in 1258) was built.
Although one wall and the font may date from the C11th or C12th, most of the current structure dates from 1860. It has a good stained glass window by Charles Eamer Kempe.
All Saints Church, Winterslow
Firsdown comes within the Church of England parish of Winterslow. All Saints Church (pictured right) is located in West Winterslow and its main service is the 8am Eucharist. Click here for full service details.
The church was first documented in a record of taxation dated 1291 although two arches and their pillars are reported to date from the late 11th century, as does the font which remains in use.
The church was rebuilt and extended in 1849 and a new organ installed in 1850. It was first located at the west end of the church but has been re-sited following a complete refurbishment, which was undertaken in 1982, and it is now located on the north side of the church. The organ was rededicated in June 1983. The tower itself was not restored until 1851, when the timber upper storey was removed and replaced by flint. The height was also raised by 10 ft. For more information on the history of All Saints Church in Winterslow please click here.
There are four primary schools in the surrounding villages and the local secondary schools can be found in nearby Salisbury.